I Get By with a Little Help from My Friends. Now What?
I am doing a ton of work this month to launch a new website. And in order to do that, I have to solicit help from my friends and colleagues. I need testimonials, LinkedIn endorsements, referrals, survey feedback, extra encouragement and accountability. You name it, I am asking others for a lot of help. But as I am getting all of this support, I can’t help but feel like reciprocating. So, this week’s self-coaching experiment is to GIVE BACK.
What are all the ways that I can give back to my community?
- Finally write a Yelp review for that amazing car repair place I used over 3 months ago.
- Comment on people’s Facebook and LinkedIn posts.
- Share LinkedIn and Facebook posts that interest me.
- Write a podcast review for the 80 million podcasts I love and am inspired by every day.
- Give feedback to my amazing childcare provider who has been such a great role model for my children while I step back into work.
- Send a note to a friend that has inspired me. I can think of several.
- Start a gratitude journal.
This last step reminds me of a lecture I was listening to a few weeks ago given by Dr. Robert Emmons, a professor on the Science of Gratitude at UC Davis. And one of the key findings that struck me most was that people who had a regular gratitude practice experienced better sleep. As you know I am a mother of two really young children so sleep is constantly an issue for me. And I find that now that my son is not waking up as much during the night, I am still having trouble feeling rested. So, I think it’s worth experimenting with this gratitude idea and see if it helps me to be able to relax at night.
I am looking forward to this week’s experiment and seeing how it all plays out. I think it will really help boost my self-confidence, especially when it comes to asking others for help. But if nothing else, I can almost guarantee that it will make me feel good. And that’s something worth working towards.
What are some of the ways you have been meaning to give thanks but haven’t yet taken the time? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
Until next time,
What You'll Learn:
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
About Your Host
Hi! I'm Stacy Mayer, a Certified Executive Coach and Promotion Strategist on a mission to bring more diversity to the leadership table by getting 1000 underrepresented corporate managers promoted into senior executive positions each year worldwide.
I help undervalued executives scale to the C-Suite using repositioning strategies that build your confidence and visibility, so you can earn the recognition and support you need from key stakeholders while embodying your unique leadership style.
My podcast “Maximize Your Career with Stacy Mayer” tackles topics like executive communication, getting more respect in the workplace from challenging bosses and team members, and avoiding the common mistakes that sabotage career advancement.
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode: follow the show on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts or Stitcher.
- Leave a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Share with your friends on social media by clicking the links below.