Ep #210: Women in Politics with Mary Hayashi
Whether you consider yourself a political person or not, you have so much in common with women in politics.
Not only because you want to be in the rooms where the big decisions are made…
But also because you want to be a catalyst for change.
Mary Hayashi is a former California State Assemblymember and the author of Women in Politics: Breaking Down the Barriers to Achieve True Representation.
And in our interview together, she shares that 100% of the women she interviewed for her book were motivated to use their positions of power and influence to advocate for others and make the world a better place.
Sounds familiar, right?
I know you want the title, recognition, and $$$ you deserve.
But I know you want to do that while having a big impact, bringing more kindness and empathy to executive leadership, and lifting up diverse voices at your organization and beyond.
So if you’ve ever wondered how to use your power and influence to make your organization and the world a better place…
Or you just want some major insights and advice from a brilliant woman leader in politics…
…this episode is for you.
Let’s get started.
Want to receive the recognition you deserve, step into a higher leadership position, get paid for your ideas instead of the hours you put in at work, and enjoy more time, freedom, energy, and joy? Then you need to get your hands on a copy of Promotions Made Easy. Get your copy here.
What You'll Learn:
- The institutional and internal barriers holding women back from running for office or going for high-level leadership positions
- The likeability gap and how it holds women back from getting promoted to positions of power and influence
- How Mary overcame her “good girl training” so she could become a fierce advocate for herself and her career instead.
- The ‘imagination barrier’ and why you can’t be what you can’t see.
- The specific barriers and biases Asian women experience in politics and the workplace.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Unlock the missing piece in your leadership development. Take the quiz 📝 www.ReadytoBePromoted.com
- Read Mary’s new book, Women in Politics: Breaking Down the Barriers to Achieve True Representation
- Read Mary’s first book, Far from Home: Shattering the Myth of the Model Minority
- Visit Mary’s website, MaryHayashi.com
- Listen to Ep #204: My Best Salary Negotiation Tips
- Read the study, Men Rule: The Continued Under-Representation of Women in U.S. Politics
- Read McKinsey’s Women in the Workplace 2023 report
- Read Britt Hawthorne’s Raising Antiracist Children: a Practical Parenting Guide
- Learn more about the National Black Women's Health Project
About Your Host
Hi! I'm Stacy Mayer, a Certified Executive Coach and Promotion Strategist on a mission to bring more diversity to the leadership table by getting 1000 underrepresented corporate managers promoted into senior executive positions each year worldwide.
I help undervalued executives scale to the C-Suite using repositioning strategies that build your confidence and visibility, so you can earn the recognition and support you need from key stakeholders while embodying your unique leadership style.
My podcast “Women Changing Leadership with Stacy Mayer” tackles topics like executive communication, getting more respect in the workplace from challenging bosses and team members, and avoiding the common mistakes that sabotage career advancement.