#202: How to Stop Being Nervous Around People in Authority
So many women leaders struggle when they’re face-to-face with a person in authority.
You may have experienced this before. The anxious, bumbling, blood-pressure-spiking feeling you get when in the presence of a high-level leader – even when you’re just having a regular conversation and even if that leader happens to be the nicest person on earth.
If you’re struggling with this, you’re not alone. I’ve literally been dealing with this issue for my entire life.
I’ve investigated it. I’ve worked on it. And the good news is, I’ve come up with some tools to help myself (and you) deal with it.
So on this episode of Women Changing Leadership with Stacy Mayer, I’m pulling back the curtain on my longstanding trouble with being in the presence of people in authority…
…AND I’m offering some really simple, easier-to-follow advice that will help you have interactions and conversations with people in authority that don’t just feel less stressful, but actually feel really good.
This episode is a little raw, a little vulnerable, and I know you’re going to get so much out of it.
Let’s dive in.
Want to receive the recognition you deserve, step into a higher leadership position, get paid for your ideas instead of the hours you put in at work, and enjoy more time, freedom, energy, and joy? Then you need to get your hands on a copy of Promotions Made Easy. Get your copy here.
What You'll Learn:
- Why our discomfort with people in authority is bigger than us
- The real reason why speaking with people in authority can feel so challenging for women
- A super simple shift you can make to stop freaking out when you’re in the presence of someone with authority
- Why you need to approach authority figures like a giant experiment
- How to practice putting yourself in the room with really important people
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Are you ready to be promoted? Take this free quiz and find out. You could be closer than you think (or not).
- Sign up for my new workshop, How to Advance Your Career as a Woman in Leadership
- Sign up for my email list to be notified the next time I offer a free workshop or panel
- Learn My 15-Minute Ally Meeting Process
- Go to StacyMayer.com/Apply to learn more about how you can work with me 1:1
About Your Host
Hi! I'm Stacy Mayer, a Certified Executive Coach and Promotion Strategist on a mission to bring more diversity to the leadership table by getting 1000 underrepresented corporate managers promoted into senior executive positions each year worldwide.
I help undervalued executives scale to the C-Suite using repositioning strategies that build your confidence and visibility, so you can earn the recognition and support you need from key stakeholders while embodying your unique leadership style.
My podcast “Women Changing Leadership with Stacy Mayer” tackles topics like executive communication, getting more respect in the workplace from challenging bosses and team members, and avoiding the common mistakes that sabotage career advancement.