Ep #171: The Corporate Badass Way to Recognizing and Overcoming Bias at Work
Very early on in my executive coaching career, I began doing trainings around unconscious bias.
The kind of bias that we are usually completely unaware that we are committing.
And the kind of bias that can be so subtle and so hard to put your finger on.
And I taught my students how to begin to recognize and notice these biases in themselves so they could counteract their biases by choosing to do something different.
And that makes total sense when you are the biased person.
But what do you do when you are on the receiving end of that bias?
Well, you can get frustrated or shut down.
Or you could also choose to do something different.
So in this episode of Women Changing Leadership with Stacy Mayer, I’ll show you the corporate badass way of noticing bias, making better choices for how to deal with it, and thriving in your career in the face of it.
Let’s get started.
Want to receive the recognition you deserve, step into a higher leadership position, get paid for your ideas instead of the hours you put in at work, and enjoy more time, freedom, energy, and joy? Then you need to get your hands on a copy of Promotions Made Easy. Get your copy here.
What You'll Learn:
- Why women’s enthusiasm for their work is often misunderstood
- The common unconscious bias ambitious mothers experience (and how to overcome it by over communicating)
- What to do when leaders treat you like a subject matter expert instead of an executive leader
- Why women are so frequently labeled as ‘too aggressive’ at work
- How to overcome bias in the workplace by acknowledging that it exists
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Ep #170: Transitioning to the C-Suite with my Corporate Badass Client Jennifer Fisher
- Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead
- Connect with me on LinkedIn
- Follow me on Instagram
- Join my group coaching intensive, Executive Ahead of Time
- Learn more about The Leadership Table and what you need to do to get recognized, promoted, and succeed at the executive level by scheduling a free Career Strategy Session with me
- Get your copy of my book, Promotions Made Easy: A Step-by-Step Guide to the Executive Suite
- Go to StacyMayer.com/Strategies to join my email list and receive my email series, Seven Promotion Strategies that Your Boss Won’t Tell You
About Your Host
Hi! I'm Stacy Mayer, a Certified Executive Coach and Promotion Strategist on a mission to bring more diversity to the leadership table by getting 1000 underrepresented corporate managers promoted into senior executive positions each year worldwide.
I help undervalued executives scale to the C-Suite using repositioning strategies that build your confidence and visibility, so you can earn the recognition and support you need from key stakeholders while embodying your unique leadership style.
My podcast “Women Changing Leadership with Stacy Mayer” tackles topics like executive communication, getting more respect in the workplace from challenging bosses and team members, and avoiding the common mistakes that sabotage career advancement.