Ep #136: The Myth of Mentorship (and Why You Need Allies Instead)
Want to know the truth about mentorship?
But only if you look like everyone else in the room.
I’ve seen firsthand what happens to a lot of women who rely on a mentor to get them promoted, and it’s not good.
All too often it means zero voice at the table and zero relationships with the leadership team. 😒
And it also means they’ve handed responsibility for their career over to someone else.
But there is another path for you.
✨ A path where you not only get the job, but have a powerful voice at the table to match.
✨ A path where every member of the leadership knows your name and understands what a badass you truly are.
✨ And a path where you can do things differently, keep pushing the envelope, and bring more diversity to the leadership table.
I know what path you want to be on.
And all you need to do is scratch the word ‘mentorship’ from your vocabulary and replace it with “allies” instead.
So in this week’s episode of Maximize Your Career with Stacy Mayer, I debunk the myth that you need a mentor to get promoted into senior executive leadership positions and I share how building 15-Minute Allies is not only more effective, but will make it so much easier to build a career and life you love.
Want to receive the recognition you deserve, step into a higher leadership position, get paid for your ideas instead of the hours you put in at work, and enjoy more time, freedom, energy, and joy? Then you need to get your hands on a copy of Promotions Made Easy. Get your copy here.
What You'll Learn:
- How no longer focusing on your mentor will help you become happier (and way more successful) in your career
- The reason why sponsors and mentors work in the traditional business world (and why they won’t work the same for you)
- Why mentorship makes many women stop going for higher-level executive positions
- Why allyship is the best way to open doors for you (and help you have a real voice at the table once you get there)
- Why 15-Minute Ally Meetings are actually easier than traditional mentorship
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead
- Connect with me on LinkedIn
- Join the Summer of Magic by registering for Executive Ahead of Time
- Get your copy of my book, Promotions Made Easy: A Step-by-Step Guide to the Executive Suite
- Go to StacyMayer.com/Strategies to join my email list and receive my email series, Seven Promotion Strategies that Your Boss Won’t Tell You
About Your Host
Hi! I'm Stacy Mayer, a Certified Executive Coach and Promotion Strategist on a mission to bring more diversity to the leadership table by getting 1000 underrepresented corporate managers promoted into senior executive positions each year worldwide.
I help undervalued executives scale to the C-Suite using repositioning strategies that build your confidence and visibility, so you can earn the recognition and support you need from key stakeholders while embodying your unique leadership style.
My podcast “Women Changing Leadership with Stacy Mayer” tackles topics like executive communication, getting more respect in the workplace from challenging bosses and team members, and avoiding the common mistakes that sabotage career advancement.