Ep #125: How to Transition into Executive Leadership by Treating it like a New Career Path
Up until this point in your career, your promotions have probably been slow and steady.
You do a great job, you sprinkle on some new skills, and slowly over time, you ease into one new role and then another.
This is the case for most corporate badasses like you for the first 15 to 20 years of their careers.
And then…something changes.
You get stuck.
You’re killing it in your role, you’re hitting your deadlines, your team loves you, but you’re just not advancing to that next level.
And this is the point where most corporate badasses come to me.
They’re frustrated. They might even be thinking about throwing in the towel. But then I show them the small shift they need to make, and this changes everything.
You need to let go of your OLD career.
The career you had as the subject matter expert with all the skills and responsibilities that went along with it.
This is where we draw the line in the sand.
The line between the technical career you had…
…and the incredible leader you are becoming.
And becoming this leader takes a totally different skill set.
That’s why one of the most critical shifts you can make right now is to start thinking of executive leadership as a brand new career path.
Because what do we do when we change careers?
We develop new skills. We get new knowledge. We try out and do new things.
This episode of Maximize Your Career with Stacy Mayer is all about making that shift.
I am going to show you why treating executive leadership as a brand new career path is going to help you commit to your career deeper than ever before and how it will help you step into a higher-level executive position.
Let’s get started.
Want to receive the recognition you deserve, step into a higher leadership position, get paid for your ideas instead of the hours you put in at work and enjoy more time, freedom, energy, and joy? Then you need to get your hands on a copy of Promotions Made Easy. Get your copy here.
What You'll Learn:
- Why it’s beneficial for you to let go of what you used to do
- The power of staying curious during your career
- Examples of management vs leadership skills
- Why thinking of the executive suite as a second career will help you skip levels
- What you need to do to shift into this new mindset
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Register for my upcoming free masterclass: How To Ask For Your Next Promotion Without Being Labeled As ‘too Aggressive’
- Ep #68: Being Unapologetically Ambitious with Shellye Archambeau
- Join my group coaching intensive, Executive Ahead of Time (and access my 36-day Executive Reboot!)
- Get your copy of my brand new book, Promotions Made Easy: A Step-by-Step Guide to the Executive Suite
- Go to StacyMayer.com/Strategies to join my email list and receive my email series, Seven Promotion Strategies that Your Boss Won’t Tell You
- Connect with me on LinkedIn
About Your Host
Hi! I'm Stacy Mayer, a Certified Executive Coach and Promotion Strategist on a mission to bring more diversity to the leadership table by getting 1000 underrepresented corporate managers promoted into senior executive positions each year worldwide.
I help undervalued executives scale to the C-Suite using repositioning strategies that build your confidence and visibility, so you can earn the recognition and support you need from key stakeholders while embodying your unique leadership style.
My podcast “Women Changing Leadership with Stacy Mayer” tackles topics like executive communication, getting more respect in the workplace from challenging bosses and team members, and avoiding the common mistakes that sabotage career advancement.